Solar power has developed from a Sci-Fi futuristic concept to a reality in a very short period. It has not only become the world’s hope for a clean energy source but also promises a better future in the energy sector. Since its invention, the solar power system has revolutionized the world and has been used for various purposes. Solar energy can be used to power anything the man has so far invented, from cars to space shuttles, small homes to large buildings, a small house factory to a huge industry running on heavy machinery, etc.
How Solar Power Generates Electricity
A solar system starts generating electricity when the sunlight hits the solar panel. The energy is produced in the form of direct current and then transformed into alternating current which can then be used to create electricity that powers your house. If the whole process is cut down into steps, it would consist of the following steps:
- The solar panel generates electricity through the photovoltaic effect.
- The energy produced in DC is changed into AC by a solar Inverter.
- AC can be used to power a home.
Step 1: GENERATION
Solar panels usually consist of silicon cells, metal frame, glass casing, and a system of interconnected wires. The key component is the silicon cell which practically generates the electricity. When sunlight hits the solar panel, electricity is generated by the release of electrons from the silicon atoms which start moving in the same direction producing Direct Current (DC).
What Is Photovoltaic Effect?
The photovoltaic effect was discovered in 1839 by a 19-year old, Edmond Becquerel. The word defines that some semi-conductors produce electricity when exposed to sunlight. The process can be explained in the following steps:
- Silicon cells absorb sunlight (even when the sky is cloudy or it is winter),
- Radiation from sun charge the electrons and make them circulate,
- The wires capture these electrons and produce an electric current in the form of DC.
Step 2: Conversion
The electricity provided by the solar cells is in the form of Direct Current (DC) and for it to be used by the appliances at home it needs to be converted in to 240V Alternating Current (AC). This task is done by a solar inverter which can either be,
Step 3: Usage
The 240V Alternating Current produced by the inverter can then be used by the household to run appliances. This power is uninterrupted and can be used to run any kind of home devices. The voltage remains constant and provides a stable current to all the machines.
What Happens To The Excess Electricity?
Depending upon the solar inverter a home is using, what happens to the excess electricity varies. All the inverters have their way of saving the excess energy however, the ultimate goal is to provide you the benefits which remain the same no matter which inverter is being used.
- In Grid Tied Inverters, the excess energy is transmitted to the utility grid which can then be used by other customers and you can get money in return. You can also use the energy from the grid when required and pay the bill in the form of energy supplied to the grid.
- Hybrid and Off-grid Inverters take the excess electricity and store it in the batteries which can be used later at night or whenever needed.
Direction of Placement
The direction of placement impacts the energy creation capacity of a solar system a lot, solar panels are placed in a way to ensure that sunlight falls on them most of the day, throughout the year so that you can reap maximum benefits from the immense power of the Sun.
How Weather Affects Energy Production?
It is a frequently asked question and every person who is willing to get a solar energy system installed has this question on their mind. Each weather condition affects the production of electricity in a different way which can be seen below.
- The production of electricity depends upon sun radiations and not the heat of the sun so it does not have any major effect on the energy generation.
- The efficiency however may drop a few percentages because the sun shines for a lesser period in winters.
- The cloudy weather may drop the efficiency of the solar cell by a few percentages.
- It does not affect energy production in any major way since clouds do no stop the radiation of the sun from passing through.
- The energy production is not effected since the radiation of the sun still reach the earth
- Efficiency may drop a little bit
- It is a good way to get your solar panels cleaned without a hassle
How Net Metering Works?
If you have a solar power system installed at your premises, you can often produce excess electricity, especially when you are residing in Pakistan where ample sunlight is available throughout the year.
Net metering allows you to transact excess energy for money or sometimes for electricity units from the grid on cloudy days or in winter when sufficient sunlight is not available. With the Net Metering System established, the user only has to pay the “net bill” which is the difference between the volume of electricity produced by the solar system and the electricity utilized by the house.
Benefits of Home Solar Installation
The benefits a homeowner can gain by solar installation are:
Pay No Bills
You will be paying no bills with a home solar system installed as you will be getting an ample amount of electricity from the sun and you will not have to rely on the grid electricity which means no electricity bills because the sun doesn’t charge for its power.
Easy to maintain
Solar Installations are easy to maintain, especially on-grid inverters as they don’t have any batteries which need maintenance. You can enjoy your solar system without any hefty expenses on maintenance for a minimum of 25 years.
Passive Income through On-grid inverters
Grid-tied inverters allow the users to transmit excess electricity to the utility grid and gain money in exchange for the electricity provided.
About Premier Energy
Premier Energy is the leading solar energy system provider with 14% shares in the total net-metered KWs in Pakistan. With headquarters in Glasgow, UK, Premier Energy has initiated their solar energy program in Pakistan intending to make Pakistan self-sufficient in its energy requirements. We have been working in the energy sector to provide residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural services. We believe that together we can overcome the energy crisis of Pakistan and why can’t we when we have an unlimited supply from the biggest source of energy, the sun. Premier Energy provides top-notch services and tier-one products which have the highest efficiency leaving you a reliable way to produce and supply electricity to your and many other homes for up to 40 years at the most reasonable price.
How much will it cost you?
The price varies from the brand you are choosing and how bigger the installation you want. It depends upon your requirements, for example, a 5 Marla home with 2 air conditioners will require less number of solar panels as compared to a Kanal house with 5 air conditioners and more appliances. It varies and depends upon how much you need.
Based on your requirement, we can provide you with a free quote.
Call us or contact us via email or stop by our office to get your quote over a cup of tea. Our solar energy consultants are always available to help you out.
- By: admin
- Tags: commercial solar solutions, domestic solar solutions, how, how solar system works?, industrial solar solutions, residential solar solutions, solar, solar company, solar company in Pakistan, solar financing Pakistan, solar Pakistan, solar projects, solar solutions Pakistan, solar system
- 0 comment
Leave a Reply